Optimizes patient care by promoting rational, safe and cost effective pharmaceutical care including drug dispensing, intravenous admixture program and providing drug information. Conducts drug therapy monitoring and implements drug therapy interventions to reduce adverse events. Oversees the work performed by pharmacy technicians, students and other support staff. This job primarily works nights.
- Process prescriptions: Conducts prospective drug review on all prescriptions processed. Independently reviews and assesses medication prescriptions to identify, prevent and resolve potential and actual drug related problems; ensures that medications are accurately and efficiently compounded and dispensed. Ensures safe and appropriate and cost-effective medication therapies for patients. Demonstrates sound professional judgment and knowledge to resolve emergent issues. (20%)
- Drug Information and Patient Interventions: Provides accurate and timely drug information to other health professionals, patients and the public. Documents interventions and outcomes related to drug therapy. Collaborates with the healthcare team to manage drug therapy, protocols and guidelines. (20%)
- Assist in Department Management: Assists the manager in supervising and directing work of pharmacy technicians, students, externs and other support personnel in daily operations. Trains pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, pharmacy residents and students in their duty areas. Oversees daily inventory maintenance purchases. Assures that all controlled substances are stored and dispensed in compliance with Federal, State and departmental regulations. (20%)
- Work Environment: Contributes to the effective operation of the department through all activities including computer functions, refill medications, generation of labels and answering phones appropriately. Maintains a clean and orderly work environment. (20%)
- Safety: Participates in performance improvement and regulatory compliance efforts. Maintains an attitude that promotes and fosters an environment of safety. All steps are done in a courteous and efficient manner. (20%)
- May be responsible for the following if serving as the Night Pharmacist: Triages, prioritizes and delegates the nightly activities of the pharmacy department. Serves as the primary interface to resolve medication related problems between pharmacy, nursing and other disciplines. Demonstrates proficiency in trouble shooting and solving information technology, computer and automation problems.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy
- Registered Pharmacist license in PA within 120 days of hire
- Doctorate degree in Pharmacy
- Hospital experience
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please call HR Services at 844-242-HR4U or visit HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org