Provides assistance to management in coordinating Pharmacy Technician activities, including education, training, competencies, daily pharmacy operations and support and knowledge of Automated Dispensing System and Hospital computer systems.
- Operations: Performs general pharmacy technician duties and all other duties as assigned. Maintains adequate inventory levels and records in specialized areas. *As applicable, participates as unit based technicians, which could include functions of assisting in coordination of medications in medication rooms per request of Nursing, facilitation of medication delivery and patient medication history.
- Coordinates daily workflow within respective area (i.e., Administration, Narcotic, Oncology, IV Room, Medication Reconciliation), which might require staffing/scheduling adjustments as necessary.
- As applicable: Medication reconciliation. Coordinates interviews of patient and/or family members to obtain a medication history. Identifies and prioritizes patient interviews based on work flow and scheduled admissions. Verifies accuracy of medication list obtained. Clarifies information as needed with patient's physician office or local pharmacy, if necessary. Coordinates with pharmacist to ensure that any discrepancies between medications taken before admission and medications ordered upon admission for a patient are intentional and not accidental. Enters medication history into computer system.
- As applicable: Administration: Scheduling and workflow. Maintains a master technician schedule and coordinates necessary changes in technician schedule, develops, monitors and assesses technical workflow including work related to staffing, Automated Dispensing Systems and computer systems. Assists the manager in recordkeeping of personnel information including time keeping. Acts as contact person for incident/accident report, payroll questions and paperwork associated with time and attendance.
- Training: Coordinates technician orientation, training, security access to pharmacy systems and in-service education with regards to respective areas. Assists the manager with competency assessment and documentation.
- Safety: Participates and leads performance improvement and regulatory compliance efforts. Provides input into the development of policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Pharmacy Technician Certification (CPhT) preferred and required within 6 months of hire. (Legacy technicians must obtain certification within 12 months of policy effective date.)
- Minimum 4 years pharmacy experience as a pharmacy technician or completion of a pharmacy technician training program and 3 years equivalent experience.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please call HR Services at 844-242-HR4U or visit HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org