Job ID: J120694
Company: Highmark Health
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Full/Part Time: Full time
Job Type: Regular
Posted at: Apr 9, 2018
I. GENERAL OVERVIEW:
The Director Corporate Taxes directs all tax matters for the company; ensures that all tax filings are timely and accurately prepared and filed; ensures that the financial results reported reflect their tax positions calculated and reported in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (as well as Statutory Accounting Principles where applicable); ensures all business transactions are structured to minimize taxes and/or reduce tax risks; coordinates the communication, education and implementation on all tax matters associated with evaluating business opportunities; coordinates the settlement of tax controversies, including management of activities related to tax litigation; and documents major processes, risk assessments, design of adequate internal controls and compliance with testing procedures required under Sarbanes-Oxley Act - Section 404 and related auditing standards.
II. ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Communicate effectively. This position displays effective communication skills while performing the following functions:
• Directing the accurate and timely completion of tax filings for subsidiary groups, affiliates, employee benefits plans, trusts, and tax-exempt entities as well as compliance with Sarbanes Oxley and similar regulatory mandates..
• Interacting and consulting with Senior Highmark Management both within and outside Finance in order to provide advice on structuring business transactions, evaluating business opportunities and developing opportunities to reduce taxes most beneficial to the organization.
• This position determines the tax implications then developing and possibly implementing tax planning strategies on all types of prospective business transactions for the Highmark Group. It involves consulting with all levels of management, supporting the operational staff, engaging and guiding the appropriate internal resources and directing outside counsel (when employed).
2. Direct the tax function for the Company and its Affiliates. This position is solely responsible for developing strategies for supporting business goals, existing tax strategies, and identifying and implementing tax alternatives for acquisitions, dispositions, and reorganizations. The Director must understand senior management’s business objectives and identify tax strategies that will accomplish those objectives. The Director must coordinate activities, make recommendations, and support decisions to ensure projects that require tax planning services can proceed to a resolution as quickly as possible. In addition, this position is responsible for directing the development and management of significant numbers of subsidiary groups, affiliates, employee benefits plans, trusts, tax-exempt entities, Sarbanes Oxley compliance, consolidated tax returns, and tax technology. This includes defending our tax positions on audit from a variety of taxing authorities, regulatory agencies, internal auditors and our external auditing firm . The Director also plays a key role managing the continuous exam underway by the Internal Revenue Service.
3. Provide strategic direction and leadership to the tax professional (and outside tax advisers) responsible for the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Examination and state and local tax examinations. This includes clearly communicating the status of the audits and the potential impact on the company’s financial results.
4. Ensures the timely and accurate preparation of tax returns, correspondence, tax deposits, etc for the Highmark Group. This includes thousands of documents covering many different types of taxes (income, excise, sales and use, capital stock/franchise, property, international, business privilege, etc.) and many different varieties of each of those taxes from many different jurisdictions (federal, all states, a wide range of municipalities and international). In addition, this position is responsible for ensuring the calculation and preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual tax accruals for the financial statements of the Highmark Group. This involves acting as the official representative of the Highmark Group before federal, state, and local tax authorities.
5. Acts as a consultant to other Highmark departments in tax matters. This includes interacting and consulting with Senior Highmark Management both within and outside Finance in order to provide advice on structuring business transactions, evaluating business opportunities and developing opportunities to reduce taxes most beneficial to the organization. Some customers within the Highmark Group include Business Development (Transaction Support), Payroll (payroll taxes and taxable compensation), Compensation (tax attributes of benefit plans), Financial Accounting Services (Form 1099’s), Financial Accounting and Reporting (accruals and financial accounting for income taxes), Cost Allocation (deductibility of expenses), Legal (corporate restructuring and other matters), and Audit Services (record retention and audit procedures)
6. Other duties as assigned or requested.
• A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting (or equivalent major) is required
• A minimum of 15 years of tax compliance, planning and ASC 740 experience either in a corporate tax department or public accounting firm
• At least 5 years of managerial experience in tax
• Licensed attorney, MBA, Masters Degree in Taxation and/or CPA
• 2 years of auditing experience or 3 years of financial accounting experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Statutory accounting experience and knowledge of insurance taxation.
• Knowledge of federal taxes (corporations, partnerships, trusts, tax-exempt organizations, property and casualty insurance companies, life insurance companies, employee benefits, individual taxes, etc.); state and local taxes and regulations for a multitude of jurisdictions; Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); and Statutory Accounting Principles (SAP).
• Proven leadership skills – ability to motivate others to quickly achieve results in a matrixed environment.
• Uses knowledge of industry and market trends to develop and champion long-term strategies.
• Demonstrates the ability to effectively persuade others to listen, commit, and act on a new approach.
• Self-confident with an ability to accept and respond to challenges in a positive manner.
• Strong and effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Effectively presents complex topics in a concise manner to audiences at various levels and in various sizes.
• Broad understanding of business issues, metrics, organizational linkages and customer value.
• Successful experience in achieving results through people in a complex environment.
• Strong organizational and analytical skills in addition to project leadership and management skills.
IV. SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Does this role supervise/manage other employees? Yes
If yes, indicate the number of direct reports: Typically 2 to 5 tax professionals
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please call HR Services at 844-242-HR4U or visit HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org