Uses specialized knowledge and expertise to implement, maintain, monitor, and ensure performance of
databases. Plans and implements upgrades or installation of new components, if required.
- Create, develop, and review the physical model created from the logical model, ensuring that the detailed physical design of data structures and databases complies with standards, guidelines and procedures recommended for all aspects of data modeling, database design, and maintenance.
- Provide support for application staff and business areas regarding database implementations, which could include a customized in-house database and/or a third party application package.
- Establish automated monitor mechanism for space and database availability conditions. Establish best practices for database and application high availability through the use of third party technologies and through the exploitation of various database features.
- Provide applications support for staff, as well as, outside division to answer questions and resolve problems related to the DBMS technology and computing platform such as Z/OS, UNIX, Linux, and Windows
- Conduct root cause analysis to identify and resolve problems impacting application and/or database availability and service levels. Contact vendor support when necessary to facilitate application development and client problem resolution with optimum speed and efficiency.
- Provide after hours and weekend support as required for on call responsibilities, database refreshes, testing, technology upgrades, and other off hour assignments.
- Participate in establishing and maintaining technical standards, departmental procedures, and other technical documentation as required. Assure compliance to required corporate standards, procedures, guidelines and processes, including audits.
- Assist in identifying, developing, and providing technology training to the application developers of the organization (formal and informal).
- Participate in staff training opportunities (formal and informal) relative to rules, procedures, and standards for the access and maintenance of shared data resources.
- Participate as assigned to intra and inter-departmental project initiatives.
- Participate as assigned in the testing and recommendation of tools and utilities to improve the effectiveness of managing and supporting the database environments.
- Maintain contacts with other DBA professionals externally in other Health Insurance/Health Care industries and/or other industries to maintain a perspective of current trends and best practices.
- Due to Department of Defense (DoD) contract requirements, the incumbent who fills this position must be a US citizen,
- High school diploma GED
- 1-3 years of experience in Information Technology
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related discipline
- Two (2) years’ experience as a Database Administrator (no specific technology requirements)
- Extensive experience with design and definition of database objects within a relational database
- Experience supporting relational databases with high availability, high volume and high performance requirements
- Experience with the implementation of an application backup/recovery plan
- Proficient with Structured Query Language (SQL)
- General understanding of Networking Concepts
Additional Preferred Qualifications include
- Unix/Linux scripting
- CA/Erwin data modelling software
- Service Manager
- Teradata RDBMS
- C# (C Sharp programming language)
- Licenses or Certifications: Vendor DBA Certifications for the Teradata DBMS is a plus
- Prior Health Care/Health Insurance experience is a plus
Referral Level 2
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please call HR Services at 844-242-HR4U or visit HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org