Must be able to travel to West Penn hospital as well.
Under the direction of the provider and as a member of the health care team, assists in coordinating the examination, treatment and health care planning for patients. Assists with other office functions to support patient care and office operations. Follows all established protocols, policies, procedures and standardized workflows.
- Using the team based approach, assists in the coordination of patient care under supervision of the health care provider.
- Prepares and rooms patients within the clinical practice setting according to standardized work flows. Accurately obtains patient vital signs, documents patient information, patient history, tobacco, and medication screening. May assist in the administration of depression screening tools. Completes annual wellness visit screenings. Reviews, updates and screens medication list in the EHR. Reviews social history with patient and updates record. If applicable, pends/''cues up'' orders for required age appropriate screenings, patient prescriptions, refills, or other orders based on AHN approved protocols.
- Performs back office testing following approved AHN protocols and policies.
- Assists providers with examination and procedures.
- May serve as a scribe with additional training.
- Provides follow up with patients at designated intervals via patient's preferred method (telephone, electronic, written) in accordance with provider instructions. Notifies patients of test results under the direction of provider in a timely manner.
- Prepares exam room for patient visit. Ensures adequate inventory of medical supplies. Ensures all patient treatment areas are at all times stocked with the appropriate supplies using established inventory standards.
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments per established AHN approved policy and manufacturer's guidelines.
- Accurately performs lab controls and equipment checks as assigned.
- Administers and accurately documents medications in accordance with policy and safe practice.
- Documents accurately in the electronic health record (EHR) according to established standards and work flows.
- Accurately performs clerical office functions and other duties as assigned.
- May require floating/travel between physician office locations.
- Proof of graduation from a Medical Assistant school within five years of application OR proof of one year of work experience as a clinical MA in the last three years
- Newly hired medical assistants must complete certification training and/or attempt testing within 30 days of hire
- Medical assistants must obtain certification within 120 days of hire. Once achieved, Medical assistants must maintain national certification requirements
- American Heart Association BLS certification
- Experience with practice management software and electronic health record applications
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please call HR Services at 844-242-HR4U or visit HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org