This job is a senior level actuarial analyst position that initiates and leads the development of actuarial studies and analyses, making appropriate recommendations to actuarial management. Gives direction to less experienced staff and works to develop efficient processes and applies actuarial techniques and statistical analysis to several functions, including insurance premium and pricing development, claim trend analysis, experience studies, medical economics, profitability analysis, wellness studies, predictive modeling, or claim reserving.
- Outline data requirements for a study or analysis. Give direction to less experienced staff and review the appropriateness of the results in light of experience and industry knowledge.
- Initiate and lead the development of studies, analyses, and presentation materials needed to appropriately inform decision makers. Make appropriate recommendations to management across teams within the actuarial department.
- Proactively ensure the internal and external consistency of all work. Perform reasonability checks dependent on advanced industry knowledge and experience. Promptly and efficiently identify outliers and anomolies in the work of others. Identify methods to test whether suspect results are correct.
- Understand the environment, goals, and objectives of the incumbent's own position, their team, and all internal customers. Take the initiative to propose changes to projects, systems, processes, or decisions so that the results of all the teams' efforts conform better to corporate goals, objectives, and values.
- Manage own time and resources across many projects, focusing on quality, time, scope, usefulness, and appropriateness of work. Carry out recurring projects with minimal assistance and oversight. Keep manager informed.
- Interact with customers in a manner that fosters cooperation, teamwork, and influence while conveying engagement and competence. Enhance department influence while conveying engagement and competence. Effectively explain technical work to both technical and non-technical people.
- Guide and mentor less experienced staff on a regular basis in a manner that fosters teamwork and excellence. Listen, take direction, accept criticism and feedback to improve performance. Proactively take on additional work as needed by the team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics or Closely Related Field
- 5 - 7 years in an Actuarial role
- 5 Exam Components
- 6+ Exam Components
- Previous health actuarial experience
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Associate of the Society of Actuaries (ASA)
- Possesses and applies an in-depth knowledge of actuarial principles, concepts, practices and processes within multiple fields or disciplines
- Possesses significant expertise to complete complex assignments and ability to visualize, articulate, and solve complex problems while leading others to complete straightforward assignments
- Analytical Skills
- Oral & Written Communication Skills
Level 4 Employee Referral
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please call HR Services at 844-242-HR4U or visit HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org