This job investigates factual situations and present well-reasoned and creative solutions and alternatives based upon independent legal research and analysis of the facts and the law. Provide accurate legal advice and prepare effective documents based upon knowledge of federal, Pennsylvania and other applicable law, and the regulatory environment in which the Corporation and its affiliates (“Corporation”) function. Provide regular legal support for one or more discrete units of the Corporation and demonstrate increasing knowledge of the Corporation’s business, while retaining the discipline of legal analysis.
Work cooperatively with inside counsel, and as necessary, outside legal counsel.
- This position displays effective oral and written communication skills.
- Provide regular legal support for one or more discrete units of the Corporation, and demonstrate increasing knowledge of the Corporation’s business, while retaining the discipline of legal analysis.
- Maintain positive and effective relations with other members of the Law Department, as well as management and other staff of the Corporation, and outside counsel.
- Perform legal research and investigate facts
- Investigate situations and present well-reasoned and creative solutions and alternatives based upon independent legal research and analysis of the facts and the law.
- Prepare legal memoranda, contracts, pleadings, analyses, correspondences and other relevant documents
- Provide legal advice to management and staff.
- Provide accurate legal advice and prepare effective documents based upon knowledge of federal, state and other applicable law, and the regulatory environment in which the Corporation functions.
- Provide results of analysis to other attorneys in the Law Department, or, under the direction of a managing attorney or other more experienced attorney, directly to appropriate management and staff of the Corporation.
- Apply sound business judgment to the provision of legal advice
- Manage litigation, transactions or other matters or work cooperatively with outside legal counsel in accordance with the level guide.
- Assist and work cooperatively with outside legal counsel in litigation, transactions and other matters
- Work with outside legal counsel in support of one or more projects
- May direct the work of outside legal counsel or facilitate the work of outside counsel to address issues effectively and efficiently, including minimizing outside legal counsel fees and expenses, as appropriate
- Negotiate with outside parties
- May participate in any privacy or security committees or workgroups and offering privacy compliance opinions to the committee/workgroup as well as offering alternative approaches to processes which may create vulnerabilities for the company. Maintains and fosters productive relationships between Highmark and group accounts, consultants, producers and other third-parties.
- Other duties as assigned or requested
- Juris Doctorate
- 3-5 years of related, progressive experience in one or more areas of relevant specialization
- License to practice law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or applicable state (DE or WV); or eligible for admission within one year of hire.
- Law experience in related disciplines, such as insurance regulation, health law, general corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, contracts, antitrust, employee benefits, intellectual property and litigation
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please call HR Services at 844-242-HR4U or visit HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org