Assists the Nursing Manager, Surgical Services in daily departmental operations by providing team leadership to central services employees and ensures adequate preparation and functioning of the central service department. Reports directly to the central services manager. Must possess a positive attitude and excellent interpersonal skills. Adheres to regulatory standards, universal precautions, and follows JRMC policies.
- In conjunction with the nurse manager, directs, coaches, orients, and evaluates performance of subordinates.
- When necessary, administers the corrective action process based on departmental and corporate policies.
- Interacts with salespersons, manages orthopedic implant needs, and orders new instruments and equipment for surgery as directed by manager.
- Ensures adequate supplies and materials are maintained in inventory for use in Central Service from storeroom and/or special request forms.
- Functions as a liaison between operating room and central service.
- Maintains principles of guest relations skills with peers and other departments.
- Coordinates case carts distribution between central service and the operating room.
- In conjunction with manager, assesses staffing needs, and makes personnel assignments by developing and creating schedules.
- Independently participates in unit activities such as in-services, competencies, Performance Improvement activities, meeting attendance, and other committees.
- Assists in payroll process calculation of time cards in Kronos system.
- Populates schedule in Kronos system.
- Provides oversite and completes accurate case carts for OR cases as assigned.
- Verifies request forms to OR schedule and master slips.
- Examines, sorts, inspects, lubricates, and assembles instrument sets.
- Performs other essential duties like identifying equipment and implants, maintaining inventory, requesting case carts, and replenishing specialty carts.
- Ensures sterility of supplies through stock rotation and backdating procedures.
- Provides oversite and prepares linen, instruments, diagnostic trays, utensils, and various supplies to ensure sterility at time of use.
- Conducts loading and operation of sterilizer to ensure proper penetration of sterilization agent.
- Initiates and maintains proper documentation in relation to expiration dates, sterilizer, and load numbers on items being sterilized, includes sterilization records of all types.
- High school diploma/GED and must be a graduate of an approved central service tech or surgical tech program required.
- Prior surgical tech or central service work experience of at least 5 years is required.
- Surgical Tech or central service certificate is required.
- IAHCSMM certification preferred.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please call HR Services at 844-242-HR4U or visit HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org