The Internal Audit & Advisory Services department is dedicated to providing objective assurance and consultation designed to add value and improve enterprise-wide operations and support compliance. Internal Audit & Advisory Services helps the organization to accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluating and improving the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes by providing insight and recommendations based on analyses and assessments of data and business process. The scope of audit and advisory engagements is broad, and includes the efficiency of operations, the reliability of financial reporting, deterring and investigating fraud, safeguarding assets, and compliance with laws and regulations, including but not limited to control design and testing in support of compliance requirements. Audit and advisory projects often address management requests and consultation to provide comfort over identified risks, new business processes, and strategic initiatives.
The Manager, Audit & Advisory Services is responsible for managing the execution of a comprehensive internal audit and advisory services program for Highmark Health and its subsidiaries and affiliates. This includes conducting audits and internal control assessments in a manner in which all relevant risks are assessed in an efficient manner to determine completeness, accuracy, validity, and restricted access and/or effectiveness of the control environment.
1. Audit & Advisory Engagement Management - Provide leadership role and collaborate with the Director and other members of the team and business owners to plan and execute audit and advisory engagements in an efficient and effective manner.
- Demonstrate and apply a thorough understanding of complex financial and operational processes and/or complex information systems at the Company.
- Stay abreast of changing Institute of Internal Auditor standards and leading audit practices, as well as current business and industry trends relevant to internal clients.
- Effectively manage assigned engagements on the Internal Audit & Advisory Services Plan, by addressing delays and removing barriers, as necessary. Propose modifications to the Internal Audit & Advisory Services Plan based on evolving priorities, largely driven by enterprise and tactical risk evolution.
- For each assigned engagement:
- Plan the risk assessment, and develop work program timelines, scoping, materiality and other planning documents.
- For audit engagements, perform the selection of items or controls to test to satisfy the audit risk and provide appropriate level of independent assurance.
- For advisory engagements, collaborate with business owners to analyze, evaluate, and enhance business process controls and/or information system functionality facilitating the assessment and mitigation of strategic, financial and operational risks. This includes managing the creation of process documentation (narratives, flows, etc.), risk assessments, control design evaluations, and control implementation validation.
- Identify barriers to successful engagement completion and execute strategies to ensure that milestones are achieved while adhering to strict deadlines.
- Execute engagements on time and in accordance with the budget in an effective and efficient manner.
- Identify, evaluate, prioritize, and consult the business to remediate control findings and control deficiencies as identified, including the approval of remediation plans.
- Consistently deliver high quality client services.
- Perform detailed reviews (Quality Control procedures) of Internal Audit & Advisory Services team member work, including risk assessments, testing, and analyses.
- Materially contribute to the development and maintenance of the Internal Audit & Advisory Services Plan. Identify and track new engagement opportunities by investigating and determining the appropriate customers and validating the value and appropriateness of the engagement.
- Maintain department systems including oversight of the integrity of the engagement documentation software and issue repositories.
- Manage the completion of remediation efforts and perform timely follow-up audits, as necessary.
- Lead special projects requested by management or the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors. These priority projects are generally highly confidential and sensitive and require the utmost discretion in the conduct of the work. These assignments require solid investigative and analytical skills to perform the review, sound judgment to reach conclusions, and solid business sense to recommend practical corrective actions. These projects generally require analyzing issues from a variety of internal and external sources that may relate to a variety of underlying issues including operational efficiencies, cost containment or reduction, and compliance with governmental regulations.
- Prepare and provide status reporting to the team, Director, and Vice President on a recurring scheduled basis and as necessary.
2. Partnership & Communication
- Interact and maintain productive business relationships with business leaders and individual contributors at all levels. Collaborate with these business partners and staff on solutions to support effective and efficient execution of audit and advisory engagements.
- Be a valued business partner worthy of providing feedback and consultation related to existing or emerging internal controls, compliance matters, and audit findings.
- Coordinate the work of not only the Internal Audit & Advisory Services department, but also the parts of audit work staffed by Technology Audit & Advisory Services (TAAS) to ensure that audit and advisory engagements as a whole are effective and well executed. This involves regular interactions with management in the TAAS department to ensure that their efforts are consistent (time and scope) with the Internal Audit & Advisory Services Plan for shared engagements and will lead to successful completion of the integrated engagement.
- Collaborate with the Governance, Risk and Controls department on control design and testing to ensure appropriate procedures are performed to determine with reasonableness assurance the design and operating effectiveness of Model Audit Rule, SSAE16 and new process key controls, while improving the customer's experience through effective engagement coordination.
- Collaborate with the Enterprise Risk Management department to maintain an understanding of enterprise risks, tolerance levels, and risk mitigation strategies for use in developing the Internal Audit & Advisory Services Plan.
- Contribute to positive business results by maintaining a workplace characterized by high performance, mutual support and respect.
- Demonstrate behavior to continually improve results by maintaining a positive work environment, which encourages team members to make meaningful contributions to the success of the department’s efforts.
- Establish direction and motivate team members, creating an atmosphere of trust, leveraging diverse views, and encouraging improvement and innovation.
- Provide training, direction and feedback to team members, and provide accurate and meaningful feedback throughout the year and during the annual performance appraisal process to assist employees in developing to their fullest potential and for career progression.
- Promote team development and training through mentoring and coaching activities.
- Proactively identify opportunities to challenge the competency of team members by providing stretch assignments and growth opportunities.
- Establish an effective succession plan for key positions in the department.
- Deliver and/or develop technical content (i.e. work programs, practice aides, and trainings)
4. Other duties as assigned or requested.
Education, Licenses/Certifications, and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, accounting or finance
- Six (6) years of progressive audit and/or accounting experience
- Three (3) of years leadership of moderate to large sized audits or consulting engagements, teamwork and client service experience
- Three (3) years of experience in project management
- Three (3) years of experience in demonstrating excellent written, verbal communication, and presentation skills
- Master’s Degree
- CPA, CISA, CIA or PMP certification
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Insurance or healthcare provider experience
- Proven leadership skills – ability to influence and motivate others to quickly achieve results
- Knowledgeable of cutting edge internal audit practices and techniques
- High energy and passion for excellence
- Self-confident with an ability to accept and respond to changes in a positive manner
- Broad understanding of business issues, metrics, organizational linkages, and customer value
- Strong management and analytical skills in addition to project leadership and management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in achieving results through people in a complex environment required. Must be comfortable in making presentations to small and large groups
- Able to deliver tough messages with clarity and sensitivity
- Experience in achieving results through people in a complex environment
- Experience in motivating people to meet strict project and reporting deadlines
- Knowledge of Highmark Health and its subsidiaries and affiliates, the flow of information, and the overall (broad) internal control and operational environment
- Broad working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, statutory accounting principles, government accounting regulations, and BCBSA regulations
- Must be able to focus on details, but with overall business understanding and perspective
- Must be able to provide sound project management, interact effectively with others within the Company, and present findings, status, and recommendations in a professional manner to various audiences
- Must be flexible and able to handle aggressive deadlines along with evolving priorities and keep the Director and Vice President informed of status and progress
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please call HR Services at 844-242-HR4U or visit HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org