Optimizes patient care by promoting rational, safe, and cost effective drug therapy; provides pharmacist
staffing duties; conducts drug therapy monitoring, conducts drug formulary reviews, and implements drug therapy interventions to reduce adverse events; educates and trains the pharmacy staff, Pharmacy Residents, and other health care providers.
Supervises, coordinates, directs and/or participates in the preparation of sterile intravenous admixtures including chemotherapy, dispenses all pharmaceuticals and related supplies and equipment in accordance with federal, state and local laws and standards of practice which govern the profession of pharmacy
- Develops storage and preparation instructions for Cancer Center investigational drugs and commercial drugs in clinical trials, if specific instructions exist
- Reviews drug therapy of each protocol to ensure appropriate use, dose, dosage form, regimen and route; minimizes therapeutic duplication and avoids drug allergies and drug interactions while providing cost- effective therapy
- Assist or oversee the maintenance of accurate investigational drug records (including documentation of ordering and receipt of drug, drug inventory maintenance, packaging, or pre-packaging responsibilities) and review and update as indicated
- Assists with development of clinical trial protocol order templates and Epic/Beacon protocol builds. Builds study protocols and study drugs in Willow for Epic use.
- Assist in maintaining complete study files for the investigational drug studies in the IDS
- Assist in arranging for study participants to receive study medication per protocol, as inpatients and in the ambulatory setting.
- Counsel patients on investigational medications for use at home
- Ensures compliance with regulations regarding investigational drug storage and procurement
- Attends interdisciplinary meetings to assist the respective teams and research nurses with patient enrollment
- Performs functions of a pharmacist per the pharmacist job description. (50%)
- Provides clinical support functions, design and implementation of drug use evaluations which includes collecting, analyzing, trending, collating and evaluation data to be synthesized into reports such as formulary evaluations, ongoing monitors or specific drug usage evaluations. (20%)
- Participates in educational program for healthcare professionals including nurses, medical staff, pharmacy residents and pharmacists. Participates in medical rounds whenever possible with the interdisciplinary team. Prepares clear and concise clinical briefs for use by nurses, medical staff, pharmacy and committees. (10%)
- Provides input in planning pharmaceutical programs to meet department and organizational goals. Responsible for the design, coordination, implementation, performance and outcomes of programs, services and initiatives. (10%)
- Promotes interdisciplinary teamwork by working on committees and task forces. (10%)
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy or Doctor of Pharmacy degree (Pharm D) .
- Completion of a Pharmacy Residency or 2 years of demonstrated clinical experience required.
- Licensed or eligible for licensure as a Registered Pharmacist in the state of PA at hire or sit for boards and obtain licensure within 120 days.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please call HR Services at 844-242-HR4U or visit HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org