Manages, supervises, and coordinates the daily operations of a specific patient care department
providing clinical and administrative leadership and expertise. Contributes to the strategic planning
process and attainment of goals of both their departments and the organization.
- LEADERSHIP: Responsible for implementation of mission, vision, philosophy, core values, evidence based practice, and standards of the organization, and nursing service within their defined areas of responsibility.
- Demonstrates and role models professional behavior with all staff interactions.
- Serves as change agent and role model for change to assist staff in accepting and embracing the necessary change.
- Conducts monthly unit conferences with minutes which include discussions of both unit and organizational activities and goals.
- Completes annual performance appraisals on associates.
- Attends greater than 50% of leadership meetings.
- Promotes unit based shared governance to include ongoing support through consultation and assistance in eliminating barriers.
- Promotes RN career ladder with staff.
- Promotes and encourages nursing specialty certification.
- QUALITY AND PATIENT SAFETY: Identifies, plans, and implements activities in specified clinical departments which ensures patient care is delivered in accordance with professional standards for nursing practice and is evidenced based, meets patient safety goals and standards and regulatory guidelines.
- Monitors departmental performance in appropriate EBPs, quality and patient safety goals, meeting assigned goals.
- Develops action plan for any goal not met which includes timeline.
- Participates in 85% of monthly Joint Commission mock tracers.
- Develops a yearly unit based quality plan with unit based clinical practice and PI council based on identified unit needs.
- Assures departmental participation and compliance with Six Sigma projects goals related to through put.
- CUSTOMER SATISFACTION: Assures that department work collaboratively with patients, families, peers, and other departments in the organization to meet established organizational goals for customer satisfaction.
- Reviews bi-weekly Press Ganey report providing feedback to staff at monthly unit conference.
- Investigates and provides feedback for identified patient or departmental concerns.
- Rounding for Purpose weekly to assess patient and family needs.
- Develops departmental plan to address any improvement needs.
- Meet or show consistent progress toward meeting established patient satisfaction goal.
- FINANCE: Demonstrates fiscal stewardship through effective and efficient use of staff, facilities, equipment, and other resources while maintaining patient care standards.
- Maintains both FTE and Goods/Services within established budget, completes variance reports according to established guidelines.
- Utilizes established tools to monitor monthly budget performance, conducting drill down to explain variances as needed.
- Completes staffing report daily
- Addresses overtime use with individuals as needed with documentation of discussion.
- Reports budget performance at monthly unit conferences.
- PROFESSIONAL GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT: Fosters the development of staff through coaching, mentoring, and creating an environment which encourages learning and use of research.
- Assures appropriate orientation, education, credentialing, and professional development for personnel.
- Encourages and facilitates staff membership on research committee, clinical practice councils.
- Encourage and facilitate attendance at nursing grand rounds.
- Foster peer review.
- Set developmental goals with staff member at yearly evaluation.
- Identifies one area for self-improvement annually and develops a plan to improve.
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Current PA RN licensure
- CPR Certification
- 5 years current nursing experience
- 1 year charge/supervisor/management experience
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- GI experience
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please call HR Services at 844-242-HR4U or visit HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org