This job supervises a team responsible for the review of monthly journal entries and reconciliations, analysis and oversight of the maintenance of related financial records, reconciliations and analytical reports. The incumbent supports the GAAP processes for general ledger, financial statements, footnotes and exhibits for assigned processes; serves as the department leader for large-scale projects impacting assigned processes such as system or business migrations, company integrations, new product offerings etc. that may span outside of the finance department; develops business policies and supervises special financial and business related studies and interact with other departments in the preparation of analyses; supervises data modeling and analysis of the current business as well as projecting and forecasting of future activities; develops and maintains databases and spreadsheets to facilitate accounting, analysis and reporting; ensures internal controls related to assigned processes are in place and operating effectively and meeting MAR documentation standards; and communicates with other departments and/or outside agencies to address information or analysis requests for internal and external customers. In addition, responsible for staff personnel related matters such as hiring, mentoring, training, disciplinary action and performance appraisals.
- Display effective communication skills.
- Lead a group of accountants and analysts.
- Establish objectives, performing annual reviews and relaying information from senior management.
- Provide functional coaching to staff to enhance development.
- Coordinate with other departments, locations, and divisions items critical for assigned processes.
- Communicate with other departments and/or outside agencies to address information or analysis requests for internal and external customers.
- Advise management of expected outcomes, and recommending ways to improve the outcomes.
- Effectively over see and support the financial accounting and analysis functions of Gateway.
- Ensure accounting activity generated by the company is accurate and recorded timely to the various GL’s and other data repositories in accordance with accounting principles (GAAP).
- Review monthly journal entries and reconciliations, analytical review and variation analysis and oversee the maintenance of related financial records, reconciliations and analytical reports.
- Provide technical accounting and Gateway system guidance to staff as necessary.
- Identify non-routine transactions and their proper accounting treatment.
- Responsible for supervision of staff and financial reporting deliverables.
- Develop and implement internal controls for assigned processes and verify they are in place and operating effectively to meet MAR documentation standards.
- Facilitate analysis and reporting.
- Expert knowledge of Gateway’s financial and operational systems including but not limited to billing, revenue estimation, claims, supporting source systems, and general ledger including how these systems interact with each other during day to day operations and monthly reporting processes.
- Expert knowledge of product structures to ensure product results are reflected appropriately in the general ledger and other data repositories to facilitate financial analysis and forecasting processes.
- Leverage staff to develop and maintain databases and spreadsheets to facilitate reporting & analysis.
- Automate accounting, reporting and analysis processes leveraging system development personnel to develop or enhance systems where appropriate.
- Process/Project Management
- Leverage staff, manage multiple accounting and analysis deliverables with aggressive deadlines independently.
- With department leader, manage corporate initiatives such as system or business migrations or enhancements, new product offerings, company integrations etc. impacting assigned processes. Lead staff to develop or enhance current processes to accommodate.
- Develop and implement projects to re-engineer current processes to increase efficiency and effectiveness of accounting, reconciling, balancing and analysis procedures.
- Manage resources and staff in order for the project to be completed meeting project and financial reporting deadlines.
- Other duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelors Degree
- 7 years of experience in Finance, Accounting, and/or Financial Analysis
- 5 years of experience managing staff and/or projects of varying size and complexity
- 7 years of experience with various computer applications to include MS Excel and/or MS Access
- 3 years of experience utilizing an automated general ledger and consolidation package and/or various other data repositories
- Bachelors degree in a business related field of study
- 3-5 years of experience in health insurance industry accounting practices particularly with respect to accounting, reporting and analysis of revenues and claims
- 3-5 of years public accounting experience, preferably within the insurance or healthcare industry
- Expert knowledge of Gateway’s operational and financial systems and reporting processes
- 8 years of experience managing staff and/or projects of varying size and complexity
- Proficient in the use of an automated general ledger and consolidation package
- Experience managing multiple processes to meet deadlines
- Proven leadership skills – ability to motivate others to quickly achieve results in a matrixed environment
- Uses knowledge of industry and market trends to develop and champion long-term strategies
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively persuade others to listen, commit, and act on a new approach
- Self-confident with an ability to accept and respond to challenges in a positive manner
- Strong and effective verbal and written communication skills
- Effectively presents complex topics in a concise manner to audiences at various levels and in various sizes
- Broad understanding of business issues, metrics, organizational linkages and customer value
- Successful experience in achieving results through people in a complex environment
- Strong organizational and analytical skills in addition to project leadership and management skills
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please call HR Services at 844-242-HR4U or visit HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org