Provides proper care, handling, processing, sterilization and storage of all supplies and equipment, to ensure a high quality product for use in surgical services and throughout the hospital. Provides support to the OR by assembling instrument sets and picking case carts.
- Assures the proper functioning of all equipment utilized for sterilization through on going monitoring of mechanical, chemical and biological indicators used during sterilization cycle. Prepares linen, instruments, diagnostic trays, utensils and various supplies to ensure sterility at time of use. Conducts loading and operation of sterilizer to ensure proper penetration of sterilization agent.
- Provides accurate, complete case carts for OR cases. Verifies request forms to OR schedule and master slips. Examines, sorts, inspects, lubricates and assembles instrument sets.
- Assures the removal of bioburden through the decontamination of trays, instrument, needles and equipment by visually and manually inspecting items prior to sterilization. Removes malfunctioning items from service.
- Initiates and maintains proper documentation in relation to expiration dates, sterilizer and load numbers on items being sterilized. Includes sterilization records of all types.
- Ensures adequate supplies and materials are maintained in inventory for use in Central Service from storeroom and/or special request forms.
- Follows proper policy/procedure by wearing EO personal monitoring badges, calibrates electronic reader for self and maintenance staff and documents results.
- Prepares charge stickers, documents, dispenses and distributes sterile and non sterile supplies and equipment as requested by individual departments throughout the hospital.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of all CS procedures and techniques, safety regulations and universal precautions. Practices guest relations and participates in non-technical activities such as CQI.
- Assists in orientation of new personnel. Assumes all duties in decontamination area of CS and coverage for the decontamination workers.
- Integrates performance improvement principles into all aspects of job responsibilities. Integrates customer service excellence principles into all aspects of job responsibilities.
- High school diploma/GED.
- Formal CS training is required. This can be accomplished via CS Tech Certificate from an approved program or CS tech training in a hospital setting.
- Prior CS Tech work experience is preferred.
- Certification from an approved Central Service Tech program is preferred.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please call HR Services at 844-242-HR4U or visit HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org