The Actuary – Commercial Markets is the lead actuarial client consulting role for the CPA market and supports both national and key strategic regional accounts. This unique role involves direct client and Sales interactions, so excellent communication skills and a strong focus on always putting the customer first is critical. This role requires a strong eye for detail and the ability to fully understand key actuarial concepts and rating methods, while being able to explain them in easy to understand ways to a non-technical audience. Providing input into the forecast for select clients and helping to explain variances to plan on these select clients is another important aspect of this role.
Essential Job Functions:
- Outline data requirements for a study or analysis. Give direction to less experienced staff and review the appropriateness of the results in light of experience and industry knowledge.
- Initiate and lead the development of studies, analyses, and presentation materials needed to appropriately inform decision makers. Make appropriate recommendations to senior management across teams both within the actuarial department and across other departments.
- Proactively ensure the internal and external consistency of all work. Perform reasonability checks dependent on advanced industry knowledge and experience. Promptly and efficiently identify outliers and anomolies in the work of others. Identify methods to test whether suspect results are correct. Form reasonable approximations in advance of results of an analysis and determine whether deviations are reasonable or suspect.
- Understand the environment, goals, and objectives of the incumbent's own position, their team, and all internal customers. Demonstrate a thorough understanding of both corporate and division goals and values. Apply corporate, professional, and industry knowledge & insight to all tasks under incumbent's control or influence. Effectively advocate across entire corporation for appropriate positions, processes, and systems which can reasonably be adopted.
- Manage own time and resources across many projects, focusing on quality, time, scope, usefulness, and appropriateness of work. Routinely plan and organize work of less experienced staff. Mentor and assist in development of less experienced staff. Keep manager informed.
- Use effective communication to present information and provide decision support to team members and executive management. Appropriately balance the need for clarity and brevity with the need to fully inform customers of all aspects of a situation which may be material to a decision.
- Represent department's perspectives and needs in cross disciplinary settings. Consistent with the direction and expectations of incumbent's supervisor: evaluate proposals; clearly communicate impacts and issues to both internal and external audiences; and, negotiate appropriate compromises and solutions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics or closely related field
- 5 - 7 years of Actuary experience in area of specialization
- Associate of the Society of Actuaries (ASA)
- Pursuing FSA exams towards FSA Certification
- Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (FSA)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Possesses and applies a comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of actuarial principles, concepts, practices and processes within the field of specialization
- Possesses significant expertise to complete complex assignments and ability to visualize, articulate, and solve complex problems while leading others to complete complex assignments
- Develops, designs, and tests analytic frameworks to solve complex problems using innovative approaches
- Assignments are broad in scope and require depth of knowledge as well as ingenuity and originality.
- Analytical Skills
- Oral & Written Communication Skills
Referral Bonus: Level 3
This job is an ASA Certified actuary position that initiates and leads the development of actuarial studies and analyses. Gives direction to less experienced staff and will represent the department's perspectives and needs in cross disciplinary settings. The incumbent applies actuarial techniques and statistical analysis to several functions, including insurance premium and pricing development, claim trend analysis, experience studies, medical economics, profitability analysis, wellness studies, predictive modeling, or claim reserving.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please call HR Services at 844-242-HR4U or visit HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org